Color Craze: 9 Must-Read Books for Every Color Lover
When it comes to color, I haven't written the book but I sure have READ the books. One thing I know for sure, color is so much more than what can be gleaned by the naked eye. Color influences our perceptions, touches our deepest emotions, and moves our decisions.
We have always existed in a color-filled world but we are rarely aware of the impact color has in our daily lives. Through books we can take a deep dive into the ways in which color has influenced our understanding of our global community, our differences and our commonalities.
From the sun-drenched beaches of the Mediterranean to the works of Impressionist artists, these books are both tools for expanded knowledge and simply yummy reads.
I hope you love the products I recommend! This blog post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to bring you color commentary like this. You can find more about our site, privacy, and disclosure policies here. Thank you for your continued support!
Curl up with these books for a little trip down colorful highways and byways or display them on a coffee table to entice your guests. Here are 9 favorites from my personal library:
- Color: A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay - The author is a genius at expanding our knowledge of color through the ages.
- Pantone: The 20th Century in Color by Leatrice Eiseman - The quintessential book on how color has expanded our horizons from the "house that color built".
- The Rainbow Atlas: A Guide to the World’s 500 Most Colorful Places by Taylor Fuller - Travel takes on a renewed importance when you take in the beautiful bucket list places profiled.
- Black Is A Rainbow Color by Angela Joy - Not necessarily a book on traditional colors, per se, but one of the best children's books on skin color, race and culture written from a child's perspective.
- Interaction of Color by Josef Alber - The literal bible of color theory, this book has helped shape my color career and continues to be a guide for my jewelry designs.
- The Colorful Kitchen by Ilene Godofsky Moreno - Plant-based foods never looked (or tasted) so good! A vibrant book of vegan recipes from a fellow New Jersey native (and somewhat of a neighbor).
- The Color Scheme Bible by Anna Starmer - A must-have book for a map to bringing new life to any room through color and other home decor inspiration.
- Bisa Butler: Portraits by Erica Warren - Artists who use color in a manner that evoke strong emotional responses are my jam! Bisa's work not only speaks, it shouts loudly and with passion.
- Flower Color Theory by Darroch Putnam - Ever wonder how floral artists create such seamlessly elegant flower arrangements? This book will have you heading to the nearest farmer's market or flower stand to grab a few bouquets to play with.
Until next time, may your life be filled with rich, beautiful color!