Colorful Eats (Stay-At-Home Holiday Weekend Edition): Turkey Burgers with Asian Slaw
We surprisingly received quite a few invitation to 4th of July festivities this year. Some of our friends have made the decision to continue with the tradition of outdoor BBQs, cocktail parties and the like. And while we appreciate that they have tried to pull off these events as safely as they possibly can (small gatherings, hand sanitizers and promises to monitor social distancing), we're not quite comfortable with the idea of group socializing yet. So we'll be wishing everyone well via video and thoroughly enjoying the weekend at home watching the hit Broadway musical, Hamilton, now streaming on Disney+, sips of wine on our porch among the hanging plants, herb gardens and citronella incense and delicious meals from the home chef extraordinaire.
I hope you love the products I recommend! While this blog post was not sponsored, it may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on one and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to bring you color commentary like this. You can find more about our site, privacy, and disclosure policies here. Thank you for your continued support!
This weekend, we get to indulge in his Turkey Burgers with Asian Slaw. The flavors are just so yummy. He's added some of his tasty Shoestring Sweet Potato Fries and has done almost the entire meal in his magical Air Fryer.
While everything in this meal is delectable, the Asian Slaw is a standout. The flavors are so well balanced, you can also serve it as a side for any Summer weeknight lunch or dinner for the entire family. With the Turkey Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries, prep to plate is under 1 hour! You'll find the recipes below:
Turkey Burgers with Asian Slaw
2½ cups shredded cabbage
1 small white onion
½ carrot, grated
1 tbsp dried cilantro
2 tbsps rice wine vinegar
2 tbsps low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsps brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
Salt & pepper, to taste
Turkey Burger Patties
1 lb ground turkey (85/15)
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsps hoisin sauce
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sriracha
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Sesame seed hamburger buns
Sweet Potato Fries
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into shoestring strips
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1. MIX together the cabbage, onion, carrots and cilantro in a large bowl.
2. WHISK together the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3. TOSS the vegetables with the vinegar dressing and let the Asian Slaw marinate for 3 minutes.
Turkey Burger Patties
1. MIX all of the patty ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
2. FORM the turkey mixture into 4 patties and set in the refrigerator.
3. SELECT PREHEAT on your Air Fryer and press START. Alternatively, you can heat a frying pan to Medium HIgh on your stovetop. NOTE: the stove top method will take up to 10 minutes longer.
4. PLACE the turkey patties in the preheated air fryer or frying pan.
5. COOK for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove, cover and set aside.
Sweet Potato Fries
1. SELECT PREHEAT on your Air Fryer and press START. Alternatively, you can heat a frying pan to Medium HIgh on your stovetop.
2. ADD the cut sweet potatoes to a large bowl and toss with the oil until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
3. SPRINKLE in the salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well.
4. PLACE fries in preheated air fryer baskets and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Make sure to shake the baskets halfway through cooking. Or pan fry the sweet potatoes until tender.
To plate, place a turkey burger patty on top of an open sesame seed hamburger bun. Top the burger with a serving of the Asian Slaw. Add a serving of the the Sweet Potato Fries and ENJOY!
Until next time, may your life be filled with joy and color!